It seems that buying a flashlight is the easiest thing, because it consists of three main elements: a lamp in the head, a body and a battery. However, when faced with the choice for the first time, our customers are often at a loss due to the variety of the range and their initial confidence in their electronics knowledge quickly disappears.
Choosing the right accessory for lighting is a difficult task that requires certain knowledge in technology and understanding the principles of operation of lighting devices, because powerful LEDs have long been replaced by conventional lamps, the body is made of materials borrowed from the aviation industry and various batteries, which can mislead you. Therefore, before buying, it is important to understand the main features of modern flashlights and study the points that require special attention.
Which is better, incandescent or LED lighting ?
Before delving into the specifics of lighting products and making a final choice, it is important to understand the types of built-in lamps - the main element of the design of devices.
There are only three main types: incandescent lamps, LEDs, gas discharge lamps.
Each option has advantages and disadvantages:
- Incandescent lamps. They were once ubiquitous with hand lamps and were in high demand for their bright white light and long life. However, bulbs are not as energy efficient as LEDs and get very hot during prolonged use, which is often the cause of failure. Therefore, they naturally gave way to LEDs.
- LEDs. Modern LEDs emit an ultra-bright beam of light, several times more powerful than incandescent lighting. At the same time, they consume a minimum amount of energy and are distinguished by a long service life of about 50,000 hours. During the glow, the diode does not heat up to extremely high temperatures, so it is not afraid of long, continuous operation.
- Gas Discharge (HID) lamps. They appeared on the market as a replacement for halogen lamps. The principle of their operation lies in the main discharge of gas when a light arc is formed between two electrodes. The result is bright, far-visible lighting that has found use in car headlights. The HID lamp is not often found in flashlights due to its high cost, and most manufacturers prefer to use LEDs - bright, but less expensive elements. Now they are practically not used in hand lamps, due to the high cost and difficulty of production.
Considering the conditions in which an EDC flashlight is often used (home, garage, fishing, hunting, travel), it must strike a balance between brightness, reliability and long service life. Therefore, it is better to choose an LED flashlight that is guaranteed for many years and provides strong and continuous illumination.
The main features of the flashlight
To understand which LED flashlight to buy, you need to analyze the technical characteristics of the models. They are printed directly on the boxes or in the user manual. Do not be afraid of the number of definitions: to find out what is what, it is enough to remember school physics lessons.
- brightness. Light output is measured in lumens and indicates how much light a flashlight can emit. The more lumens, the brighter the light will be.
- range. The beam distance is measured in meters and depends on the brightness of the LEDs. But sometimes a large number of lamps does not guarantee a high range - it all depends on the reflector, which can turn the beam into a wide, close illumination, or a concentrated and long-distance illumination.
- intensity. The intensity of the beam is indicated in candela and indicates how concentrated the light will be. A high value means you are looking at a tactical model with a long-range focused beam, a low value means wide coverage without a sharp center.
- color temperature. Temperature is measured in degrees Kelvin and provides information about the color of the light emitted by the device. There are three main shades: warm (1500-3000K), neutral (3200-4500K) and cold (5000-6500K). There are options with cold light that approaches a blue tint.
- operating modes. The appropriate number of operating modes and their brightness directly depends on the area of use of the future purchase. The higher the number of modes, the higher the functionality of the flashlight. The best option is brightness modes of 150-300 lumens every day, but in some situations you may need a night lighting mode with a brightness of no more than 50 lumens, and vice versa - ultra-bright lighting at 500 lumens and above.
- working hours. The duration of the brightness depends on the battery capacity and the brightness of the programmed modes. The more lumens the light has, the more power it consumes. Ideally, the device should work without charging for at least 6-10 hours, so you can safely ride a bike in the evening, play sports and not be distracted from fishing, without constantly changing batteries.
What type of flashlight should you choose?
In order not to disappoint you when buying a flashlight, it is necessary to determine in advance the functions that are needed for the purchase of a flashlight. Illuminate the steps in a dark entrance, illuminate the seating area while fishing or hunting, create comfort during dinner in tents - the possibilities of modern products are almost unlimited, but the characteristics of the flashlight form the main directions.
- Hand flashlight. One of the most extensive categories, including classic models with different brightness. Such a flashlight is suitable for all occasions and can be compact enough to fit in a backpack or clothing pocket. Often, hand-held flashlights are equipped with an impact-resistant housing, since no matter how careful the user is, the probability of the product falling from slippery hands is high. Some flashlight models are compatible with bicycle handlebar mounts and are an alternative replacement for bicycle lights.
- Tactical flashlight. A narrow beam of light and the ability to attach to a weapon are the main features of tactical models. Such flashlights are designed specifically for hunters to highlight individual objects in the dark, but can also be used for domestic purposes. The device's capabilities can be supplemented with a remote tactical button for quick access to the light.
- searchlight. An ultra-powerful flashlight option suitable for emergency situations where bright light is needed to illuminate a large area. The minimum brightness of the searchlight is 3000 lumens, and the maximum capacity depends on the built-in diodes.
- Camping flashlight. Unlike other types of flashlights, the camping flashlight does not produce a narrow beam, but illuminates the space around it. The accessory is placed on a flat surface or suspended by a loop and emits a soft glow over an area of up to 20 meters.
Modern flashlights have at least 3 brightness modes and some include special strobes, SOS modes, and offer colored illumination with green, red, and blue colors to enhance functionality.
There is no one-size-fits-all approach to choosing the right flashlight. It all depends only on the needs of a particular person.
Case protection level: materials and waterproofing
The quality of the building materials of the flashlight is the main factor that affects the life of the flashlight. The material of the case determines its durability: it is the only protection for the internal electronics against mechanical damage, dust, dirt and water.
You can find devices made of five types of materials: plastic, aluminum, titanium, copper, polycarbonate.
- plastic Mainly used in compact flashlights where weight must be kept to a minimum. Sometimes the material is found in models of full-size flashlights, which require careful handling - plastic cracks are cut quite easily and work at low temperatures.
- aluminum is the preferred base of the flashlight housing. The material withstands falling from a great height and withstands temperature extremes.
- Titan Has increased strength, but is not used in the production of EDC flashlights due to its high weight.
- copper It is characterized by sufficient wear resistance to maintain operation in the event of a fall from the height of a person. The enemy of the material is oxidation - after a certain period of time, a patina forms on the metal surface, which can spoil the appearance of the product.
- Polycarbonate Found in headgear where light weight is important.
The power supply options are almost endless, from single-use batteries of various shapes to rechargeable batteries built into the case. The type of power supply affects the power of the light, the duration of operation and the final cost, so you should choose wisely.
Some models of flashlights are compatible with two or more power sources, but it is better to give preference to the original elements of the manufacturer. First, such flashlights often already have a battery in the basic set, which eliminates the need to spend money on the purchase of a battery. Secondly, it ensures the high quality of the item.
On the question of how to choose the right LED flashlight, it all depends on the area of its use: for home, fishing, hunting, hiking, sports.
After deciding on the working conditions, study the main features and the main factors that we described above.
We are glad that our site rcheuli.ge allows you to choose a large number of models of flashlights that are tailored to you, both in terms of budget and for various necessary uses.
It depends on your geographical location.
Tbilisi: within 1-3 working days from the order;
Regions: within 3-5 working days from the order.
Call us at our number (number) or leave your contact information in the appropriate field and our operators will help you.
All items have warranty conditions in the description, in case of such conditions, contact us on the hotline (number) for additional information.
We offer free delivery throughout Georgia.
Yes, it is possible to order on the website. You can choose the desired item and get it without leaving home. Shipping is free.
All items are accompanied by a real photo of the product, because it is important for us that the customer is sure of what he is buying, which increases reliability accordingly.
Our operator team is distinguished by high efficiency, which means that our goal is to contact you as soon as possible and provide you with the desired information. For more information, you can contact us at (number)
In case of hand purchase, payment is made after delivery of the item to the courier.
Products can be returned: In the event of a factory fault and/or damage to the product
Do you have additional questions?
If there are issues we can help you with, please contact us using your preferred contact form: